Monday, November 3, 2008

My New Adventure

Well, since yesterday, I am officially "dieting". I gained 40 lbs when I was pregnant with Alex and right after having him about 25 of that went away very easily. Well the other 15 lbs has stuck around. I kept hoping that if I just ignored it long enough it too would go away. Boy was I wrong! For about the past two months I have tried to get the weight to start coming off by eating better and walking daily. I lost a couple of pounds, but seemed to keep putting it back on. After a few days of doing well, I would fall back into a rut and go back to eating whatever and drinking soda (my big downfall). This was all until a friend of mine introduced me to SparkPeople.com. It is a wonderful website that has TONS of tools to help you lose weight and maintain your weight loss. Its basically the same "diet" as Weight Watchers, however you are counting calories instead of using points. It has a nutrition calculator where you can put in everything you eat and it totals your calories, fat, protein, carbs, etc. It also has an exercise calculator where you record everything you do to workout..you can even count playing with your children or housework :o) When you first sign up it asks you how much you weigh now and what your weight loss goals are and when you want to be at that goal. It then creates a "program" for you to help you to know how many calories you can eat in a day and how many you need to burn throughout the week in order to get to your goal. They provide meal plans if you want them, but you do not have to use them. It is teaching me portion control and that way I don't have to give up the foods I love..I just have to eat them in smaller portions. I definitely think this is going to be that extra motivation I have needed to get those last 15 lbs off. Scott has joined forces with me and is working towards his goal as well. He put on a few pounds-I think it was sympathy weight-during my pregnancy. We both want to get back to where we were when we met and we have a goal to do that by our 4th Anniversary in February. We said if we both make it to that goal we are going to reward ourselves with an Anniversary weekend away.

So I guess this was my way of promoting SparkPeople.com at the same time. :o) No seriously though, I think everyone should check out their site. They have so many tools and things to help you along your weight loss journey! Even if you are just looking to drop a couple pounds. They have great recipes and tons of articles, videos, blogs. Go check them out and if you join..add me as a friend..my username is Sarahmay143.

3 comments:

MiMi said...

Ok....I'm not familiar with SparkPeople, but I think I best be getting familiar with it! (-;

It helps so much when you have your spouse "on the same page" with you and working toward a goal like a fun anniversary away makes it even more fun to strive toward!

Thanks for the info---I'll have to check out the website and Good Luck to both of you in reaching your goals.

My life said...

Good for you!

I did weight watchers after aurora and lost 25pounds before finding out i was pregnant again..

So after this baby is born ill be doing weight watchers again.. i love them, but i will definately have to check out this site youve found. : )

Blogging to Lose said...

You can do it Sarah! I never would have guessed that you gained that much weight while preggo. You looked like all BABY! It's not easy sticking with it I've been working at it for what a year now? I still have 40 more lbs to go! I found the only way to keep from eating bad food was to not even bring it into the house. Maybe you can get your mom to join you so she won't bring the food into the house?