Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I forgot!

To post when I heard back from my doctor. So sorry! I know I'm not that great at blogging and it takes me forever to make a new post. Alex just keeps me so busy so by the time he goes to bed at night I have a lot to do and I often put blogging on the back burner.

My doctor called back that same day and said that there was no blood clot according to the ultrasound. The blood test they had done the day before was a d-dimer test which tests for the possibility of a blood clot. It's hard to explain how the test works, but this site explains it way better than I could. So I asked my doctor why I was still not able to extend my arm past a 90 degree angle. She said with all the bruising she saw on my arm, it was more than likely that my muscle was SEVERELY bruised and that it would take time to heal. If it was not better in a week or got worse I was to call her back. I'm happy to say that while the bruises are still there, I can almost extend my arm all the way now and the pain is now at a 2 on a scale of 1-10 compared to the 9 it was at a week ago! Hopefully within a week it will be back to normal. Just to give you an idea of the bruising, here are some pics from last Friday (which was 1 day short of 2 weeks from the day I attempted to give blood). These pictures don't even do the bruising justice. The bruises are even dark now and even now in the 70 degree weather we have, I have to wear long sleeves when I go out so people don't look at me crazy! I actually did have a woman and her husband staring at my arm at Wal-Mart last week!

3 comments:

Stacy said...

I am so glad your arm is doing better! I don't think I will ever give blood after hearing this story! Take care!

MiMi said...

So glad that there were no blood clots! I have never been a big fan of giving blood, anyway, and now I will really think about it twice before I do it!

Hope you have a great week!

Blogging to Lose said...

Geez! How's your arm now?